Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2018 11:42:17 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

if I understand correctly Activation is one of the fundamental concepts of Embrio.
For example as I can see in Digital input node activation goes 1 when we have signal in DI and 0 when we don't. But Activation is a float value 0.0-1.0 (is it?) and we do programming in MC where memory is pricless and using float where bool can be used considered crime.
Tell me if I am wrong (I hope I am :) ), but if it is really float used in describing DI/DO state how that can be avoided? As I see I can not add bool value as an input or output of a node, can I?
#2 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2018 4:47:04 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Yes it's true, Activation is the main data type. Embrio is kind of based on a simple brain model and activations are like neurons (at least how neurons are modeled when programming). Most logic in Embrio is done by multiplying two activations together, when they are both on the activation goes through and turns on something else, when one of them is off it "squeezes shut" the flow and the other thing doesn't turn on.

For simplicity currently all activations are a float value, even when the data they represent is really digital. You're right it is a bit wasteful. I think a "boolean" data type that can be plugged into an activation i/o would be a good idea, there have just always been higher priority things to implement. I will put that on top of my list though I think it's time to address that issue.