Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
IngmarGuillaume  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 04, 2015 2:52:44 PM(UTC)
IngmarGuillaume

Groups: BetaUser, Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Where does Embrio get its list of supported boards?

Reason for this question: the 1.6.x IDE supports other processors through the user hardware and tools folders. I have e.g. the Arduino IDE also installed for the ESP8266 using the standard Arduino IDE executable and the ESP8266 appears as a separate board under the Tools/Board menu.

In the Embrio environment, I can see all AVR boards, but no SAM or other processor boards. I assume that Embrio is hardware independent and relies on the Arduino IDE compilers to generate the code, or am I mistaking?

This question is related to the request for Intel Galileo support. (The Intel Edison BTW also supports the Arduino IDE)
EmbrioAdmin  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 04, 2015 6:16:25 PM(UTC)
EmbrioAdmin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Until a few days ago Embrio pulled info about Arduino models from the boards.txt file included in the Arduino install. The file seems to be absent from the newest 1.6.2 version of Arduino, so I had to manually include the data. I'll look into how to get Ardunio model data automatically again, but in the mean time the software only knows about the Arduino boards that are manually configured. If you are feeling adventurous you can add a record to the configuration file at C:\Program Files (x86)\Embrio\pininfo.txt. I actually just ordered a Galileo to see if I could get it working with Embrio, so I'll test it out soon and update the pininfo.txt file that gets installed.
IngmarGuillaume  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 05, 2015 1:16:56 AM(UTC)
IngmarGuillaume

Groups: BetaUser, Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thx Admin,

I saw the post on the Galileo.

I am feeling adventurous ( ;-) ), but playing with the pininfo.txt wouldn't work. I saw you're also hardcoding the tool chain. As it is coded now (I think), it is calling the the AVR toolchain (via make in a batch file), but the Galileo and Edison use a different toolchain (as does the ESP8266).

Looking forward to continued work on this amazing interface, (and I wouldn't mind paying 50 for it at all.)
EmbrioAdmin  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2015 6:01:56 PM(UTC)
EmbrioAdmin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 33 post(s)
I posted a new version with a few changes needed to get it working with the Galileo, there are instructions in this forum posting: http://embrio.io/forum/yaf_postsm149_Port-to-Intel-Galileo-2.aspx#post149

I soft coded the tool-chain parameter, but I couldn't figure out what value to use for the Galileo, so for now I'm passing nothing which tells Arduino to use the last selected board. This means to upload to the Galileo from Embrio you have to first open the new Arduino IDE and select the Galileo board. It's kind of annoying, but it works. I looked at the boards.txt file in the special version of the Arduino IDE that works with the Galileo but I couldn't figure out what value to send. If anyone knows what value to pass for the --board parameter of the Arduino command line to target the Galileo I'd be grateful if you shared.